Tuesday, Taco Tuesday! Its Taco Tuuuuuuesdayyyyy!*
I was going to write something about the craziest, most unusual tacos I’ve ever eaten. That list would look something like this:
- Korean BBQ with kim chi
- Roasted Cauliflower with a crema sauce
- Sweetbreads with something but I can’t remember
- Tacos de Aguacate (Fried Avocado but it sounds so much cooler to say it in Spanish)
- Fried Cockroach with spicy tomatillo salsa**
But then I thought “If I write about those tacos, what will I say? I ate some crazy ass tacos. The End.” So I decided I would make a list of my all-time favorite taco places because that would probably serve you people better in the long run.
Without further ado
(in no particular order, these are all really good)
- Salvation Taco in NYC: Great place to get fancy & unusual tacos. I know Pete Wells gave them the golden goose egg on his review, but I still really enjoyed the food enough to go back three times during my last visit to New York.
- El Patron: Tacos al Pastor. Enough said.
- Taco Republic: All of their street tacos are awesome. Chase them as their food truck travels around Kansas City. You won’t be disappointed.
- Taqueria Mexico: The al pastor and carne asada tacos are both really good. I wouldn’t say they are “the best” in town but they have free cheese dip on Taco Tuesdays so you may be suckered into believing its the best. Because its hard to resist free cheese dip. (Seeester, this tip is especially for you)
- Sabor y Sol: How could I leave off one of my favorite, hole in the wall restaurants? Carne asada tacos are super good. I don’t know if they are cheaper on Tuesdays though. Who cares? They are still good.
Now that I’m reviewing my list I see a huge gap … only New York and Kansas City spots are included. I need to add two things to my to-do-list:
(1) Travel More and (2) Eat More Tacos. Uhhh, twist my arm.
*You were supposed to read that in a sing-songy voice. If you didn’t, go back and read it again and this time do it right.
**This is so not true. No fucking way I would eat cockroaches. I was just seeing if you were paying attention. I called my mom to get her opinion of the grossest thing anyone could eat and she immediately said cockroaches. I said “What about brains?” and she said “People eat brains. Think about how crunchy a cockroach would be…” and I nearly gagged thinking about the initial crunch followed by whatever squishy, juicy insides a cockroach would offer. Not to mention they are quite possibly the most disgusting thing on the planet. And they ruined lobster for me.)